The Netflix application has definitely become the way our current generation has adapted television. Netflix has become well known all around the globe and its popularity continues to grow each day. That is why we should not be surprised the Xbox One users also prefer to use it for their console.
Unfortunately, there have been some issues for users who tried to use the application in order to stream movies or TV shows. More exactly, some users discovered that they were unable to open the application on their console. If this happened to you, here are a few things that you can try in order to solve this issue.
The solution for your problems might be easier than you would have expected. Turning Cortana on might be a simple solution that can help you make fix Netflix right away. Here is what you need to do in order to enable Cortana:
- Go to Settings on your console
- On the left side of the screen there should be a navigation pane, use it to go to Systems tab.
- There go to Cortana Settings
- You will be asked if you agree with the terms and you will need to select “I agree” in order to go on.
- Form there you will be able to enable Cortana
- Restart the console and see if Netflix works this time
For those who do not know, Cortana is the assistant created by Microsoft. Similar to Siri or other virtual assistants, Cortana is supposed to help you with various tasks and it can be controlled via speech recognition.
Unplug all the devices that you do not need
In some cases, if you have other external devices connected to the console your Netflix application might not open. Try to close your Xbox and remove the power cord as well. Then remove all the devices that you do not need. All external devices are included here, even HDTV air and recording devices.
Then, after you will have removed all these devices you can connect the Xbox One to the TV or the monitor. Turn on the Xbox One again and see if the problem is still there. In most cases, recording devices are to blame for this issue and this happens because Netflix does not want to let you record any of its movies or series, so the application won’t open.
Disable closed captions
Closed captions, are those subtitles that show up in the movies or series, and they show you the lines that are currently being spoken by those on screen. Nevertheless, these captions might cause you some issues.
While captions can be very useful, especially when you are watching something that does not use your first language, Netflix might have some problems with them. In order to make sure that the application works again you can try disabling the captions. Here is what you can do that:
- Go to Settings on your Xbox One
- Look for “Closed captioning” and click on it.
- Now disable it by choosing “Close captioning off!”
- When you are done try to restart your console and see if the problem is still there.
- If turning off the captions did not help you can go ahead and enable them once again.
If you continue to have problems with Netflix, you can try and reset it. In many cases, this is all it takes in order to make it work once again. In order to reset Netflix you have to follow the next steps:
- Highlight Netflix by using the arrow keys and place your cursor on Netflix.
- Click the menu button on the controller.
- Press Quit.
- Your application should close and you can try to open it again to see if it works. If the issue is still there you can also try reinstalling Netflix.